The HBO-Monitor is an annual survey study among recent graduates of Dutch Universities of Applied Sciences (in Dutch: hogescholen/hbo’s), conducted by ROA since the early nineties. It provides a detailed overview of the situation encountered by graduates after leaving education and entering the labour market, and of postgraduate life in general. It also sheds light on the extent to which hbo institutions adequately prepare students for the labour market. For graduates of Fine Arts hbo institutions a specific Fine Arts Monitor (in Dutch: the Kunsten-Monitor) has been developed. The data generated by the HBO-Monitor are available (on request) for scientific research purposes. The data are disseminated by DANS, a data archiving service of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW). More information on the HBO-Monitor and Kunsten-Monitor can be found here
Collecting important data
The HBO Monitor provides useful information for a wide range of users. Secondary school students can use the results to help them choose a HBO programme that is right for them: what are the employment prospects for graduates of each programme, and what kinds of jobs can one expect to find after graduation? The Universities gain a rich view of the situation of their graduates: how smooth was the transition to the world of work, and how do they look back on their study programme? The HBO Monitor also provides invaluable information for policy makers and other stakeholders: how well does higher vocational education match the requirements of the Dutch labour market?
Conducting the survey
To collect the data for the HBO Monitor, graduates are asked to fill out a questionnaire around one and a half years after their graduation. Approximately 90% of all Dutch Universities of Applied Sciences participate in the survey. The HBO Monitor is conducted by the Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA) and DESAN Research Solutions, under the support and guidance of the Netherlands Association of Universities of Applied.
Content of the HBO Monitor
The questionnaire addresses the following main themes:
- The alignment to labour market needs, and the preparation for labour market entry.
- Success in the labour market in terms of employability, earnings, job security and job quality.
- Satisfaction with the study programme in general, as well as more specifically in terms of aspects such as the curriculum, assessment methods and teaching staff.
- Factsheet HBO-Monitor 2022
- Ad-opleidingen: omvang en rendement
- Rapport Hbo’ers in coronatijd: een longitudinaal onderzoek naar de werk- en persoonlijkeervaringen van hbo-afgestudeerdend
- Hbo'ers in tijden van corona
- Van startende kunstenaar tot gevorderde: De loopbaanontwikkeling van kunstenaars in de eerste vijf jaren na afstuderen
- Van starter tot gevorderde. De loopbaanontwikkeling van hbo’ers in de eerste vijf jaren na afstuderen
- Wat verwachten werkgevers van HBO afgestudeerden?
For more information on the HBO-Monitor, go to http://www.hbomonitor.nl/nl